Saturday, December 01, 2007

Almost Done

Classes ended yesterday - I've completed my first term of law school! Now I have five exams and a paper standing between me and three weeks of vacation in Manitoba.

Law school is turning out to be a very "pushme-pullyou" - for those of you familiar with Dr. Doolittle - sort of experience. On the one hand, I'm learning loads of things factual, doctrinal, methodological, historical, and at an amazing pace, and I feel as though I'm retaining it and can apply it. On the other hand, I'm not getting all of it, and the penalty in an examination setting for overlooking an issue in a hypothetical fact pattern, or misstating a legal principle, is significant. The highest marks given are in the low-mid 80s, generally, and the bulk of the class scores between 70-80%, often with an average of 72-75%, and so in law school a person who really learns the material, and is capable of writing a decent exam answer under pressure with few errors, will receive a mark in the mid-to-high 70s - as will at least half of her classmates.

I've never simultaneously felt that I was doing so well, and doing as well as I can do, and also felt so average.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember struggling to accept that, in the UK, a 70% was a distinction, and grades in the 50s weren't failures. It didn't seem at all odd to my British classmates, but it was tough as I was used to Canadian grade ranges.

In any case, congrats on getting through that first term! You'll sure deserve that vacation!