Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Damage Control

Unfortunately, I am one of those parents who is guilty of occasionally swearing in front of her children. I don't mean to, of course, but sometimes it just slips out. Unsurprisingly, Joffre has recently said "dammit!" a couple of times. We had a big discussion about how dammit was a bad word, how Mommy shouldn't say it either, etc.

The next day, Joffre and Alec were playing roughly with something, and I told them to play gently so it wouldn't get damaged. Right away Joffre said, "Mom! You said dammit!!" So, I went into a huge explanation about what damage means, how it's not the same word as dammit, and how dammit is a bad word but damage isn't.

Two days later, Joffre got frustrated and yelled "dammit!" I said, "Joffre! We don't say that word! Remember, it's a bad word!"

"No, Mom," he replied. "I just said damage."

No comments: